Kettler Coach E Rower Review
A step up from the more basic Coach M rower, the Kettler Coach E rower boasts frictionless electromagnetic resistance and 12 preset workouts. Its resistance range is ideal for challenging a wide range of trainees, from beginners through to advanced rowers. Built to last, the Coach M rower’s high-carbon steel and powder-coated frame has a lifetime warranty against breakage. At 80″ long by 20″ wide, it’s an average sized rower. Although not foldable, you can move the Coach E rower from room to room with the help of the attached caster wheels. At $1,399, it’s one of the best budget-friendly electromagnetic rowing machines on the market.
Although Kettler isn’t so well known in North America, it earns many enthusiastic customer reviews. Made in Germany with excellent quality control, the Kettler Coach E Rower features a sturdy powder-coated steel frame. This durability of the frame is demonstrated by its lifetime warranty. The Kettler Coach E Rower features a frictionless electromagnetic Kettler Induktions brake system. Resistance can be adjusted from 25 to 500 watts on the Kettler Coach E Rower. This range will provide enough challenge for most trainees. Comfort features include a padded seat and footplates that support a natural pivoting motion. At 80″ long by 20″ wide, the Coach E is a medium sized rower. If it takes up too much room, you can store it upright or roll it out of the way with help from the attached casters. It’s worth noting that the Kettler Coach E is not a cordless rower: it requires a 110-120 volt AC power source.
Programming for this Kettler rower is provided on an easy-to-use LCD display. Workout data displayed includes time, distance, energy consumed, strokes, pulse rate and frequency. The console features 12 preset workouts including heart-rate-controlled (HRC) programs. These programs will automatically adjust your resistance to help you remain within your target heart-rate zone. There’s a complete wireless heart-rate monitoring system provided with the Kettler Coach E to work with these HRC programs. The rower is shipped with a Polar T34 chest strap heart-rate monitor. As well as the preset programs, this Kettler rower offers additional exercise support in the form of a Quick Attach backboard and front footplate. These attachments support 16 different exercises, converting the rower into a sort of mini gym.
- Monitor: The high-resolution LCD display is easy to read and well calibrated. With cheaper rowing machines, riders often complain that the data is inaccurate; this is not the case here. It displays all your essential rider data and a scan function lets you keep a particular field most prominently displayed.
- Preset Programs: There are 12 preset programs, including two with heart-rate control.
- HRC Programs: The two heart-rate-controlled programs automatically adjust the Kettler Coach E’s resistance. This helps you maintain your target heart rate during exercise. Unlike cheaper rowers, this model arrives with a Polar chest strap heart-rate monitor, which customers report is accurate.
- Cardio Wellness Feature: The computer has a recovery feature that measures your heart rate change after exercise. It provides a score using a cardio wellness grading index of 1 to 6 to help you track improvement.
- Smooth Resistance: The Kettler Induktions Brake System helps make the Coach E a very quiet rowing machine. It provides an extensive range of electromagnetic resistance (25 watts to 500 watts) to challenge any level of athlete.
- Comfortable Design: Biomechanically correct footplates support your body’s natural pivoting motion during rowing, and the machine lets your upper body use its full range of motion. Thick padding on the seat provides good comfort. The glide is very smooth, not jarring to the body.
- Low Maintenance: The Coach E’s seat is built with sealed ball bearings. These eliminate the need for regular lubrication.
- Stores Upright: To free up floor space, you can store the Kettler Coach E vertically. Although the frame is robust, it’s easy to move with the attached wheels.
- Durable Frame: The frame is made of powder-coated, high-carbon steel. It has a lifetime warranty.
- Bonus Exercises: A special benefit of the Kettler Coach E is the option to perform 16 exercises in addition to rowing. This is accomplished with easy-to-attach plates for the front and back of the machine. The exercises are shown on the Kettler website.
- Warranty: The lifetime frame warranty is excellent considering the price of the rower.
- Plugs In: The console doesn’t use batteries, so the rowing machine needs to be near an electrical outlet.
- Weight Limit: The weight limit of 285 pounds is rather light for a rowing machine.
At $1,399, the Kettler Coach E Rower is one of the best budget-friendly residential magnetic rowing machines on the market. It has great ergonomics, includes 12 workout programs, and can train a wide variety of skill levels. If you make the most of the attachments that are shipped with the rower, it will also serve as a mini gym; with these, the rower can technically support 17 exercises in all. It’s a good choice when quiet operation and durability are your top priorities.
Frequently Asked Questions
80" L x 20" W x 26" H
Maximum User Weight Capacity