The NordicTrack brand was established in Minnesota in 1975. This fitness equipment company was initially limited to cross-country ski machines, but today NordicTrack makes treadmills, incline trainers, rowing machines, and more. To this day the brand remains a bit of a household name, and is a leader in the majority of the categories it competes in.
The brand is now owned by ICON Health and Fitness, an international company with a variety of fitness equipment labels under its belt. It distributes NordicTrack equipment throughout North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand.
Top NordicTrack Rowing Machines
NordicTrack Rowing Machines
NordicTrack fitness machines appeal to shoppers seeking “extras” and NordicTrack’s RW200, RW500, and RW900 rowing machines entirely fit that profile. The brand’s trio of rowing machines all come with 24-level adjustable resistance, and a year’s membership to iFit—the brand’s sleek interactive/streaming training platform.
With the entry level models you’ll have to watch training on your own tablet (the RW500 includes a tablet with purchase), whereas the RW900 plays the training on its large built-in touchscreen. The prices of these machines range from $700 up to $1,999 at full price.
- Air Resistance: The NordicTrack indoor rower provides 10 levels of air resistance. The air flywheel is uncovered, so the user gets a cooling breeze during their workout. Air rowers are popular for their smooth strokes and accurate ’on-the-water’ sensation.
- Performance Monitor: The monitor constantly displays watts and can rotate feedback for strokes-per-minute, total strokes, time, calories, and distance. Trainees can choose from 20 preset programs. Ten are based on watts and the other ten have calorie-burn goals. This monitor can be powered by batteries or an AC adaptor.
- Pivoting Pedals: The foot rests are large to fit most shoe sizes. They pivot to support a natural range of motion and prevent strain. The pedals have adjustable nylon straps and are textured for stability.
- Higher Profile: The seat is positioned relatively high from the ground. This makes the rower easier to access for users with any movement limitations.
- Easy to Store: The NordicTrack RW200 rower has a SpaceSaver design. The beam can fold upright and small wheels make it easy to move.
- No Heart Rate Data: A heart rate monitor would be useful. Many other rowing machines have wireless heart rate monitors and some offer heart rate controlled workouts as well.
- Expensive Top Line Model: The RW900 is a bit of the expensive side, often selling between $1,700 and $1999. That said, it offers quite a few features.
Yet again, there are ample reputable machines to choose from in the NordicTrack catalog. Those wanting a budget friendly rower without sacrificing features and functionality will appreciate the RW200, whereas the RW900 is clearly geared towards users who want all the bells and whistles, and aren’t afraid to pay a bit more to get them.
1. NordicTrack RW900 Rower
The NordicTrack RW900 rowing machine is the brand’s top-of-the-line rower for 2020 for home use. It stands above the previous models with a few improved features, and uses a combination of air resistance and magnetic resistance. By far the stand out difference is the 22” interactive touchscreen. This large display makes it easy to view and workout to the 30 built-in programs along with the 12,000 workout sessions available though the iFit Coach subscription. iFit gives you access to live and on demand workouts, that actually sync with the RW900; the rower will increase or decrease your resistance depending on the instructor’s workout. Or you can row virtually, on different waterways around the world.Read the Full NordicTrack RW900 Rower Review
2. NordicTrack RW500 Rower
The NordicTrack RW500 is the brand’s mid-range rowing machine. It blends the simplicity of the entry-level RW200 rower with the display and interactivity of the top-tier RW900. It’s perfectly well suited for a home gym, if you’re looking for something sturdy that boasts a solid warranty without breaking the bank. One of the best features of the RW500 is the 10-inch HD touchscreen tablet included with the rower, as well as the 1-year subscription to iFit (included with purchase). With this, you can stream countless numbers of workout programs. What’s more, iFit provides real-time resistance adjustments to the rower for an immersive workout experience. The machine uses a combination of air and magnetic resistance—the latter being necessary for iFit’s real-time resistance adjustments during interactive training sessions.Read the Full NordicTrack RW500 Rower Review
3. NordicTrack RW200 Rower
Affordable, iFit enabled, and loaded with useful programming, the NordicTrack RW200 is a perfect match for new rowers. It harnesses a stellar combination of air and magnetic resistance for total-body training, helping you build strength and keep your heart rate up. Due to the air resistance component, the faster you row, the harder the RW200 pushes back. And if you want to row slowly but intensely? Just work your way up through the RW200’s 24 digital magnetic resistance levels to increase the challenge at slow speeds.Read the Full NordicTrack RW200 Rower Review