Could a $599 exercise bike meet your needs?
NordicTrack designed the GX 4.4 Pro especially for newer indoor cyclists seeking discount stationary bikes.
This upright bike isn’t built for the long term, but its power and programming could help you advance from “novice” to “intermediate” status before it wears out.
Read on for the full NordicTrack GX 4.4 Pro bike review. It includes pros, cons, alternatives and more.
|Model||NordicTrack GX 4.4 Pro|
|Resistance Type||19 lb. Flywheel|
|Seat||Oversized & Cushioned|
|Heart Rate||CardioGrip Wireless & Wireless Strap Compatible|
|Display||5" Backlit iFit LCD|
|Max. Weight||300 lbs|
|Dimensions||60" x 24.8" x 41.25"|
Parts: 2 Years
Labor: 1 Year
Rating: 69.8/100. It has “Pro” in its name, but NordicTrack’s GX 4.4 Pro is an exercise bike for beginners. The $599 sale price is ultra low – most exercise bikes cost double or more – so what should you expect? Here’s a pattern we’ve observed over years of preparing exercise bike reviews: A very cheap stationary bike can have some but not all of these qualities: a heavy drive for smooth cycling with good resistance, many built-in workouts, flashy features and a decent warranty. As for the GX 4.4 Pro, NordicTrack gets praise for making compromises in each area without going too far.
Highlights of this upright exercise bike include a respectable drive size, built-in workouts plus iFit availability, and a two-year parts warranty. Here are pros and cons to consider.
- 19-pound drive (Good for beginners)
- 28 built-in workouts
- Enabled for iFit (Shown on a low-tech 5″ screen or your own computer)
- Tablet computer holder at eye level
- iPod-compatible (Port and 2″ speakers)
- Wireless heart rate receiver (Chest strap sold separately)
- OneTouch™ controls (No scrolling to change resistance)
- Workout fan
- Water bottle holder
- Low price ($599 on sale, $799 MSRP)
- Two-year parts warranty
- Good size for most homes (Footprint is 60″ x 24.8″)
- iFit-enabled but the display is minimal (Use a tablet computer instead)
- Not powerful enough for stronger cyclists
- The seat is hard and uncomfortable (Can be covered or replaced)
- CardioGrip™ heart rate sensors on handlebars aren’t accurate (Use a wireless chest strap instead)
- Lower quality parts could break (Plastic flywheel cover, for example)
- NordicTrack customer service gets negative customer reviews
Our review of the NordicTrack GX 4.4 Pro continues below, but maybe you’re ready for alternatives. Two suggested upright bikes are sale priced at $799. Although they cost more upfront, they are better values in the long run.
– NordicTrack Commercial VR23 – Steel frame, 23-pound flywheel, wireless heart rate receiver, 32 preset workouts, same iFit setup as the GX 4.4 Pro, 3-year warranty on parts.
– Sole B94 – Gel seat, 26-pound flywheel, wireless heart rate control, 10 programs, 3-year warranty on parts and electronics.
The NordicTrack GX 4.4 Pro has an ultralow sale price ($599) yet offers good resistance and training programs for less experienced cyclists. One selling point is its 19-pound drive, which is relatively light but fine for beginners. Another strength is its programming, which includes preloaded workouts and an iFit-enabled console. Read on for details about the workouts and other features.
What are your fitness goals? Training programs built into the GX 4.4 Pro can help you lose weight, build endurance and improve your performance. There are 28 workouts to choose from. Ten are focused on calorie burn, nine are for performance, and nine are for endurance. These are shown on a backlit 5″ LCD.
Unlimited workouts from iFit are available too. With an iFit membership you can download a new and personalized workout program every day and view your progress on the basic 5″ LCD. However, iFit is best enjoyed in full color on a modern display. We recommend integrating your tablet computer or large-screen smartphone. (The 4.4 Pro has a tablet computer holder.) In this way you can enjoy high definition video workouts featuring world-class personal trainers, virtually bike anywhere with a Google Street View, and get other fitness benefits.
Stationary Bike Features
Keep your apps and files handy while you ride. The GX 4.4 Pro has an integrated tablet computer holder. It’s at eye level for a perfect view of iFit workouts, movies and more.
iPods and other MP3 players are also invited along for the ride. This stationary bike has an iPod-compatible port and a set of 2″ speakers.
To help you exercise efficiently, this exercise bike is compatible with Bluetooth Smart chest straps for wireless heart rate monitoring. Another pulse monitoring option (which we’re not wild about) is the CardioGrip™ heart rate monitor. It’s convenient to use — grip sensors are on the bike’s handlebars — but it’s not medically accurate.
Staying hydrated and cool are keys to a good workout experience. To that end, the 4.4 Pro has an integrated water bottle holder and an Autobreeze fan. The fan can automatically adjust its strength as you speed up or slow down.
Warranty & Guarantee
The NordicTrack GX 4.4 Pro upright bike warranty includes:
– Frame: Lifetime
– Parts: 2 Years
– Labor: 1 year
NordicTrack also provides a 30-day money back guarantee.
In the short term the GX 4.4 Pro is NordicTrack’s most affordable iFit-enabled upright bike. In the long run a more durable bike could be more cost-effective. Exercise bikes in the $799 sale price category are more highly recommended.