The 21 Day Fix is a popular Beachbody home fitness program for men and women. It combines 30-minute workouts with a nutrition plan for fast weight loss and body toning. Across more than 500 customer review scores, the Fix averages more than four out of five stars.
This home exercise program is delivered on DVDs, and DVD owners may also stream the workout videos online. Included are a meal planning book and color-coded kitchen containers to guide portion control. Read on for a full review of Beachbody’s 21 Day Fix.
|Program||21 Day Fix by Beachbody|
|Program Duration||21 Days|
Rating: 80/100. The 21 Day Fix is a DVD fitness program for weight loss and toning. It takes less exercise time than most other home workout programs: just three weeks of daily 30-minute routines. But portion control (nutrition) is critical to getting the full “beach body” benefits of the Fix. To help make balanced nutrition easy, the workout DVDs are shipped with color-coded food containers in different sizes. For example, a large green container is for vegetables and a medium yellow container is for carbohydrates. Those who buy the 21 Day Fix DVDs can also access the workout videos online.
The 21 Day Fix was designed by Autumn Calabrese, a celebrity personal trainer whose qualifications include certification from the National Academy of Sports Medicine and success as a “bikini competitor” focused on strength training. People enjoy her mix of workout styles: cardio, resistance training, pilates, yoga and more. For each exercise Calabrese presents an easier modified move to accommodate a wider range of viewers.
How much does the 21 Day Fix cost? Including shipping the price is $72. You can pay in installments or all at once.
- Efficient. The 21 Day Fix is effective yet shorter than most weight loss and toning programs. Most people can commit to 30 minutes of daily exercise for three weeks.
- Impressive results. If you carry extra weight, and you follow the program diligently, you could reasonably expect to lose 10 to 15 pounds over three weeks and reap other health benefits. If you don’t have much fat to lose, you can still expect to trim inches and gain strength as your muscles become leaner and more toned.
- Easy to follow. Understanding the 21 Day Fix exercise schedule and nutrition guide is easy. The nutrition guide might look intimidating at first, since it’s about 85 pages with meal recommendations, but overall the diet plan is simple. You can eat set amounts of healthful foods in different categories: proteins, oils, fruits, vegetables, carbohydrates and healthy fats & cheeses. The food guidelines are based on your body size, but no calorie counting is required.
- Doubles bonus. If you feel extra motivated to keep active, during the final week you can complete two 30-minute sessions each day instead of one.
- 3 Day Fix bonus. The three-day bonus fitness plan helps people quickly slim down, mostly by helping to flush excess water from the body.
- At home and away. The 21 Day Fix is delivered on two DVDs, which are shipped with the diet book and special meal containers. When you own the DVDs, you can also watch the videos online by logging into the Beachbody website. The home workout videos are probably best enjoyed on a large screen (your TV or computer) but it’s convenient to have access on a tablet computer and smartphone too.
- Minimal equipment needed. A towel, workout mat and appropriate workout clothes/shoes are all the gear you need for 21 Day Fix exercises.
- Some repetition. The personal trainer Autumn Calabrese provides a variety of workout sessions, but they are repeated over the 21 days.
- No days off. To enjoy the full potential of this efficient fitness program, it’s best to not skip a day of exercise. To help you stay on track, some days are low-intensity.
- Not for bulking up. The 21 Day Fix is excellent for weight loss and toning. Many fans of the program have seen their “six pack abs” for the first time. But unlike some other home workout programs, this home workout program won’t help you add bulk.
- No free trial. Other fitness programs (those with subscriptions) include free trials.
Beachbody is a company specializing in exercise video sets, which are sold on DVDs and accessible online. The 21 Day Fix is a three-week Beachbody program that helps men and women quickly drop weight and tone their bodies. It involves daily 30-minute workouts and portion control for meals and snacks (guidelines for how much cheese, fruit and so forth to eat per day). Workouts are led by the celebrity personal trainer Autumn Calabrese.
How it Works
The Fix includes a daily exercise session and encourages participants to monitor their nutrition.
- The workouts are for 30 minutes per day, with optional extra workout time in the final week.
- The food portions depend on the person’s body size and goal weight; some people may refill their containers more than others.
Optionally you can add Shakeology, a nutrition drink sold by Beachbody, to enhance results. A Shakeology drink container and sample mix may be included with purchase.
21 Day Fix Workouts
Six workout sessions are repeated over the 21 days. Each session focuses on a different set of muscles or a different type of exercise. The six workouts are named:
- Upper Fix – Tones the shoulders, chest, arms and back
- Lower Fix – For sculpting the glutes and legs
- Total Body Fix – Upper body and lower body toning
- Cardio Fix – Cardiovascular health
- Yoga Fix – Flexibility
- Pilates Fix – For core strength (torso and lower body)
No special equipment is needed besides an exercise mat. A mat reduces impact to your body and helps keep you clean during floor exercises such as yoga and push-ups.
21 Day Fix Pricing
The DVD set and accessories sell for a one-time payment of $72, or three payments of $19.95 each plus $12 shipping and handling.
Beachbody’s 21 Day Fix is recommended for men and women who 1) aim to drop weight quickly & safely, and 2) are willing to follow Calabrese’s “portioning” approach to nutrition.
The Fix packs all the major types of exercise into just three weeks for impressive whole-body results. This program costs more than many subscription services do, but it might bring results more quickly. Most customers seem very pleased with 21 Day Fix, and many repeat the exercise program for another round of benefits.