Bowflex Max Trainer M6 Review
The Bowflex Max Trainer M6 is a fabulous stair stepper meets elliptical machine to hit the market of indoor exercise equipment. It’s a modern machine that is guaranteed to leave users sweating. The M6 machine, combined with the JRNY Digital Fitness Platform, gives users the ability to get a great workout in 14 minutes. One of Bowflex’s main marketing plans is the intense workout in a short period of time and we’re going to highlight its best features while telling you how this is possible. There’s no doubt, the Max Trainer M6 could be the change you need in your workout regime.
In addition to five built-in programs, this is one of two of the first trainers (Bowflex Max Trainer M8) to be enabled with the Bowflex JRNY App™ – an app with an artificial intelligence platform called Max, a virtual trainer who will assess and guide you throughout your workouts and goals, along with instructor-led on-demand videos. The company routines offers specials such as a free six-month JRNY subscription with purchase.
|Resistance||Automatic 16 Levels|
|Programs||5 (4 pre-programmed workouts + manual mode), can use JRNY App to unlock trainer-led content|
|Users||2 User Profiles|
|Heart Rate||Contact Grips|
|Max Weight||300 lbs|
|Dimensions||46" L x 26" W x 64.2" H|
|Display||5" Dual LCD/LED color screens|
|Media Shelf||Magnetic media rack|
|Syncs with App|
|Premium Grips||Upgraded Ergonomic Grips|
|Warranty||Frame 2 years, Parts 2 years, Labor 90 days|
|Best Deal||Visit Site|
Rating: 94.5/100. Editor’s Choice based on rating and value for price. This is a great machine, and an excellent value purchase. Workouts are efficient and effective; with intensity, because of the design (blend of stair stepper and elliptical) and various resistance levels, it gets the job done, and done well. With the addition of the JRNY Digital Fitness Platform, it takes your training to another level.
The M6 is designed for a range of fitness users. Whether you’re looking to get back into a workout routine from a hiatus or improve your current physical state, the M6 will cater to your goals and capabilities. The JRNY Digital Fitness Platform will also enhance your workout experience with artificial intelligence technology that remembers each workout and will push you to work harder as if you had your own personal trainer in your home daily. This is a low impact machine that will help you tone your body, burn calories and shed pounds without any harsh impact on your joints.
The machine itself comes equipped with comfortable foot pedals that provide a solid grip and can accommodate a wide range of foot sizes for various users. The long handlebars are designed to allow for different hand placement running parallel to the body of the machine. There are touch sensors located on small handlebars at the bottom of the console to monitor your heart rate for a more accurate reading of your fitness level. This model comes with plenty more workout options than prior incarnations, with free pre-programmed workouts including the: Max 7 Minute Interval, Max 14 Interval, Max 21 Minute Interval, Manual Workouts, and the initial Fitness Assessment. Dozens of instructor-led videos can then be unlocked with a monthly subscription. There are 16 levels of resistance and it can accommodate 2 users. There is a media deck to hold a tablet or phone to display the app during your workout. Lastly, there is a space to hold a large water bottle, phone or keys during the workout.
- Convenient fit: Fits just about any home workout gym.
- 16 resistance levels: Makes for intense, low impact workouts. Burn more calories in a shorter space of time.
- Bowflex JRNY App™ platform enabled: It’s like having your own personal trainer.
- Enhanced dual-mode LCD/LED screens: Easy to read.
- Data Feedback: Burn rate monitor display.
- Integrated heart rate monitor/touch grip: Convenient to use and read without affecting your workout.
- Family-friendly: 2 user profiles.
- Variability: Low impact/high intensity.
- Entertainment Options: Media rack for tablet or phone, as well as a USB port.
- Cardio Feedback: Heart rate monitor in touch sensors.
- Compact size: 46 inches long, 26 inches wide, and 64.2 inches high.
- Attractive Look: Sleek grey and black design in an enhanced color scheme.
- High-tech: Bluetooth compatible for tablet, heart rate monitor and fitness apps.
- Warranty: The length for labor coverage is short could be extended to beyond 90 days.
- Ongoing cost: JRNY App ($19.99/month).
- Less ergonomic: Handle bars not as grip friendly as Max 8, regular foot pedals.
- Fewer amenities: No cooling fan in console.
Max Trainer Overview
The Bowflex Max Trainer M6 is a good value buy. Bowflex’s trainers are a blend of a stair stepper and an elliptical – offering low impact and high intensity workouts. It offers 16 levels of resistance which is enough for most exercisers, even the more advanced fitness levels.
As fans of the Bowflex family of equipment have long realized, the JRNY Fitness Platform brings a lot of bang subscription price for the $19.99 per month or $149 per year. Compatible with not just the Max Trainers, but select treadmills, bikes, and other equipment, users with multiple pieces for the family can bounce from machine to machine with the same app. Individualized, adaptive workouts automatically adjust as users progress. With the adaptation comes at least four fresh, recommended workouts generated per day based on preferences. Real-time coaching brings automation to the role of trainer as the machine motivates users through plateaus with metrics including: Time, interval, calories, burn rate, heart rate, RPM, and resistance level. And in addition to more than 50 virtual locations through which to stroll, the JRNY app also works with Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, and Disney+ and incorporates curated playlists into the entertainment options. On-demand classes led by professional trainers are also a big feature.
The M6 offers a low impact, high intensity workout so it is an appropriate machine for a wide range of users. Whether you have previous joint issues or injuries, low cardio range or are looking to improve your overall health, the M8 can help you achieve your goals without impact. While the stigma with elliptical trainers is that they may not be intense enough for stronger athletes, the Max 8’s intelligence platform breaks that notion but pushing users to reach their max capacity in shorter bursts while also finding their endurance range to keep them working in a higher heart rate zone. The biggest thing people will remember about the Bowflex Max trainers is the promise to achieve a great workout in 14 minutes. This machine is designed to utilize the short period of time to have users reach max potential rather than coasting as we can all be guilty of when working out on our own.
Compact Size: The M6 is a compact magnetic media holder that will fit in most spaces; and easy to store out of the way. Assembled it weighs 148 lbs, but has rollers to help move it.
16 resistance levels: This is a broad range of difficulty that allows for even the most advanced fitness level to be challenged. This means it will satisfy the needs of various users in one home and it will be effective and used for a long time.
Maximum User Weight: The maximum user weight of 300 lbs. means that it will securely manage most exercisers.
User programs: It is capable of programming up to two users, history and progress.
Media Rack: A media rack in front holds a tablet or smartphone; it’s easy access.
Display: It has a unique burn display that shows calories burned while increasing your activity levels.
The Bowflex JRNY App™ is created on an artificial intelligence platform. It’s actually quite cool. “Max” analyzes your fitness level and history and suggests when you need to increase your level of difficulty while motivating you – similar to a personal trainer – each time you get on the machine. It will also give you access to 29 instructor-led on-demand videos. The free version has 17 videos and the paid subscription has an additional 12 videos along with the option for personalized videos. The machine itself has five built-in programs.
- Is the Bowflex Max Trainer M6 loud? The term ‘loud’ is relative of course, but the trainer does make noise based on the motion of the wheels. Our experience is that it might be an issue for others in the same room, or perhaps in an apartment beneath the one in which it is being used. That said, the noise won’t travel through walls.
- How hard is it to assemble the Bowflex Max Trainer M6? With a Max Trainer, it really depends on one’s skill due to the vertical nature of the machine. A good ratchet set is definitely a must, and having a few friends to help is a good idea. Figure between one and three hours depending on how many people are helping with the larger parts.
- Does the Bowflex Max Trainer M6 have built-in speakers? Yes, the machine is equipped with a sound system.
- Is the Bowflex Max Trainer M6 Bluetooth-compatible? Yes, this model is, as are the M8 and M9.
- How is this model delivered? The Bowflex Max Trainer M6 is delivered in two boxes, with one measuring 46.5″ x 16.5″ x 23″, and the second 40.5″ x 26.8″ x 11″.
- What is the stride length on the Bowflex Max Trainer M6 and is it adjustable? The stride is 15″ but it is not adjustable.
Warranty & Guarantee
The warranty is three years for the frame and parts and 90 days for labor.
This is an improvement on the warranty offered with the M6, but still a little on the meager side. Four or five years on the frame and parts and an extended labor would have made a better deal.
Bowflex M6 Conclusion
Overall, the Max 6 is most impressive for its smooth motions, compact frame and above all, the Max Intelligence Platform App. The program combined with the machine itself has taken working out at home to new heights. The M6 is designed for a wider range of users and is adaptable no matter your fitness level. An important note when deciding which Max machine to purchase is that this model is a lower price point than the M8 with only a few minor physical differences. These comparisons may come down to personal preference or the amount of users who will be using the machine. The machines themselves are quite similar but differ in handlebars, foot pedals and media deck. The Max 6 is also grey versus the all black M8. Both machines are compatible with the Max Intelligence Platform App, which is what really makes both machines stand out from competing indoor fitness equipment. The M6 is undoubtedly a great purchase to help you begin your fitness journey, maintain or improve your physical abilities.
The M6 is our Editor’s Choice Max Trainer, and is highly recommended.
August 12, 2021: The “Bowflex Max Intelligence App” has been updated to the “Bowflex JRNY App”, and the AI platform is now named “Max”, a virtual trainer.