NordicTrack’s T 6.5 S and T 6.5 Si are in the same category as the other budget friendly treadmills for home use. The two models are priced at $649 and $999 respectively, and there are a number of key differences between the two models to justify the variance in pricing—primarily on the tech side of things. The incline (10%) and speed of either 6.5 make it better suited to jogging or walking – a light or moderate cardio session. What makes it standout in this category relative to other brands is that both versions come with 20 workout programs whereas the competition normally comes with less than 10 (not to mention the massive catalog of training programs offered with its iFit virtual/streaming program). A large running track (22”x 55”) is engineered with the FlexSelect cushioning which allows the user to use the support to decrease impact on joints or choose a firmer landing similar to running outdoors. The Spacesaver Easy Lift Assist feature makes it easy to fold up in just one step.
|Model||NordicTrack T 6.5 Si|
|Incline||0 - 10%|
|Deck||22” x 55"|
|Max. Weight||300 lb|
|Heart Rate||Handlebar sensors|
|Dimensions||67.5" x 35.75” x 73”|
|Display||10" HD Touchscreen|
|Warranty||Frame: 10 years|
Parts: 2 years
Labor: 1 year
Rating: 85.2/100. The NordicTrack T 6.5 S and T 6.5 Si treadmills are relatively inexpensive home treadmills, but solidly built, with a healthy dose of features for the money. The track is large, which is always a nice feel especially if you want to change things up in your running activities. Furthermore, for runners the joints are always a concern and prevention is always better; the Flex Select Cushioning allows you to add extra support for knee and ankles or you can choose to run on a firm surface equivalent to running outside on tougher surfaces. The incline raises 10%, which is not the best for interval training, in fact this model is probably best for light or moderate cardio training. Speaking of training, the option of 20 programs is great for a treadmill at this price point, others in this similar category usually come with no more than 10. The console is basic on the T 6.5 S—it has room for your water bottles, but there is no cooling fan. You can connect your smartphone to the console via bluetooth to listen to your favorite tracks on its built-in speakers. The only problem is that there may be a bit of an issue hearing your music properly as the treadmill is a little on the noisy side. You can monitor your heart rate with the built in sensors on the handlebars. The console controls are easy one-touch keys, so you can keep on moving without any interruptions. With the SpaceSaver and the EasyLift Assist design, it is easy to fold and move out of the way in just one step.
Next are lists of pros and cons about this treadmill.
T 6.5 S
- Price: MSRP was $1299, now on sale for $649.
- FlexSelect Cushioning: Allows for personal choice of an outdoor feel or more joint support.
- Training Options: More built-in programs than the competition.
- Bluetooth Enabled: Connect your phone and play music via a pair of built-in speakers.
- Folding Design: Easy Lift Assist makes it easy to lift and fold in one easy step.
- Weight capacity: up to 300 lbs.
T 6.5 Si
- HD Touchscreen: Large 10″ HD display for streaming iFit classes.
- iFit Included: Updated model includes one-year subscription to iFit ($468 value).
- Live Technology: When following streaming classes, your speed and incline is set by instructor.
- Sub-Par Warranty on Si: For all its other benefits, you’ll see in the details below that NordicTrack has slashed its warranty terms on the updated model. For a company that occasionally struggles on the customer service side of things, this comes as a bit of a surprise.
- Noisy: The motor is a little on the noisy side.
- No Cooling: These models are not equipped with cooling fans
- Membership Required: On the T 6.5 S, you’ll have to pay for iFit membership monthly to take advantage of its many benefits.
- Low Incline Range: We generally prefer treadmills with higher incline range (12-15% preferred).
The NordicTrack T 6.5 S and Si Treadmills are a good option for light or moderate cardio workouts. The NordicTrack brand is known in the fitness industry for workout equipment, and this is probably the least expensive of their choices. It is a good place to start for someone who is looking to start working out at home – and is a beginner; an experienced runner would need a more advanced model. Though the cost is slightly higher the T 6.5 Si is especially beneficial for “new” runners, as iFit programming will help keep you motivated.
There are more than enough programs on both the NordicTrack T 6.5 S and T 6.5 Si Treadmills; especially if you include the iFit compatibility. Twenty to be exact, enough to work with one’s unique fitness level and goals – and a very good deal for a treadmill at this price point. In addition to the 20 programs, the iFit is a very cool option that allows you to run on various terrains around the world while the treadmill simulates and increases or decreases your resistance level based on each. With the T 6.5 S, you will have to use a tablet or iPad to run iFit programming, and the programs will not have direct control over the treadmill to change incline and/or speed.
NordicTrack T 6.5 S / T 6.5 Si Features
Display: 5” Backlit display (10″ HD Touchscreen with T 6.5 Si treadmill) – Allows you to easily view progress and results of your personal choice of programs.
20 Built in Workout Programs: A good variety of workouts to choose from that should fit with your personal goals. You can rate your progress based on the standard selections: speed, calories burned, time remaining, elapsed time, incline, distance, pace (min./mile) and heart rate.
Running Track: The track is nice and roomy with a running surface measuring 22”x 55”.
FlexSelect Cushioning: Two cushion isolators allow extra support to reduce impact on joints, while running or have the option of a firmer surface equivalent to running in the natural elements of the outdoors.
One-touch button controls: Easily adjust your incline and speed, without interrupting your run, walk or jog.
Heart rate monitor: Monitor your heart rate through handlebars with built in CardioGrip TM sensors.
Sound System: Music always makes working out that much more fun. The Nordic Track T 6.5 S and T 6.5 Si sound system is bluetooth compatible, and your music, podcast or whatever your listening pleasure can be heard and amplified through the dual 2” speakers.
Move and Store: Once you’ve done your workout the EasyLift Assist feature makes it easy to lift up the track and fold it away.
Questions & Answers
- Is the NordicTrack T 6.5 S / T 6.5 Si treadmill easy to assemble? Yes, and there are numerous instructional videos to help. Having two people assisting with the assembly will make it easier.
- What types of metrics does the NordicTrack T 6.5 S / T 6.5 Si provide? Speed, calories burned, time remaining, elapsed time, incline, distance, pace (min/mile) and heart rate.
- How should I lubricate the NordicTrack T 6.5 S / T 6.5 Si? The first step is to always make sure the treadmill is unplugged from any power source so it cannot accidently start running while working on the belt. The next step is to start at the motor end of the unit and slide one’s hand underneath to create a separation between the belt and deck, and apply about half the bottle of lube to that side, then repeat the same process on the other side of the unit. After this, plug the machine back into the power source and let it run for 3-5 minutes so as to spread the lube.
- Do I need to put a mat under the NordicTrack T 6.5 S / T 6.5 Si? This largely depends upon the flooring involved. But as a rule, mats are good idea for both floor protection and the prevention of dust build-up beneath the treadmill.
Warranty & Guarantee
The NordicTrack T 6.5 S Treadmill warranty includes:
– Frame: 10 years
– Parts: 2 years
– Labor: 1 year
The NordicTrack T 6.5 Si Treadmill by comparison is MUCH shorter, which came as a real surprise.
– Frame: 10 years
– Parts (including Motor and HD Screen): 2 years
– Labor: 1 year
NordicTrack also provides a 30-day money back guarantee.
The NordicTrack T 6.5 S treadmill is designed for light to moderate cardio. The incline and speed options makes it ideal for walking or jogging. The FlexCushioning is an important feature that helps to protect joints while at the same time allowing you to feel the grit of the outdoors if needed. iFit capability would definitely add a little excitement to the workout routine. Overall it provides the basics required to improve cardio at the beginner level, and would be a good starter home treadmill.