Concept2 Dynamic Rower Review
As we’ve noted in other reviews, Concept2 rowers are a bit of a benchmark in the industry, though the Concept2 Dynamic rower is a bit of a niche unit. Unlike just about any other rowing machine on the market, the Dynamic is built to more closely replicate the movement of real-world rowing on water. This means your arms and legs move with each stroke, but your torso remains relatively fixed. It features the same sturdy American steel construction as its counterparts, however in a slightly different frame build. Its PM5 monitor displays all your necessary metrics. As an added perk, the machine is more compact in size than most conventional rowing machines, as its drive unit is located underneath the seat.
The commercial quality Concept2 Dynamic Indoor Rower is a compact fitness machine that provides a longer range of motion than the Concept2 Model D and Model E. This is in part on account of the general design of the rower, and a byproduct of Concept2 wanting to build a rowing machine capable of delivering that real ‘in-boat’ experience. This rower is recommended for people with inseams up to 40” while the other Concept2 rowing machines are only meant for inseams up to 38”.
The steel frame is made in the USA and has legs that support an entry point of 20”. This high seat positioning allows the Dynamic Indoor Rower accommodate a wider range of trainees, including people who have limited mobility or need extra leg room.
Concept2 rowing machines use air for smooth and reliable resistance. Essentially the rowing moves a fan blade to produce wind resistance. Resistance increases with rowing intensity and can also be adjusted with a damper, making the Dynamic appropriate for people at all training levels.
A backlit PM5 computer monitor displays preset workout programs and rowing games. It shows data such as distance traveled and calories burned. The data can be transferred to other devices wirelessly or with a flash drive. The PM5’s wireless capabilities also support accurate heart rate monitoring and machine-to-machine competitions.
The Concept2 Dynamic is light gray with dark gray-blue accents. It sells for $1,250 plus shipping and has a 30-day trial period along with a good warranty.
Here are some features that make the Dynamic rower enticing.
- Made in the USA: Concept2 Dynamic rowers are proudly made in the USA. Expect great quality control and stellar customer service. The company is headquartered in Vermont and invites the public to tour its factory.
- Floating Footrest: This unique feature helps hone your rowing skills. The footrest is free to move on the monorail. A cord connects the footrest to the handle and transmits the body’s entire force. This encourages body control and preparation in a way that isn’t possible in other rowers.
- Air Resistance: Concept2’s air resistance system supports smooth motion and makes minimal noise. A damper lets you adjust airflow to change the feel of the stroke. The resistance also changes in response to user intensity, supporting all skill levels.
- Windshield: Rowing machines with air resistance automatically produce a breeze. Most riders like this feature, but a removable windshield is provided for those who don’t appreciate it.
- Performance Monitor: The backlit Performance Monitor 5 sets Concept2 indoor rowers apart from the competition. It includes games, workouts programs, and provides useful session feedback. A Bluetooth connection and USB drive make transferring the workout data easy. The monitor is connected to the rower with a steel bracket and can be tilted.
- Optional Slide: Concept2 slides are designed for on-water simulation and change the physics of your workout. The slides attach with bungee cords and suspend the rower for a floating sensation that improves your stroke rate. For team training, the slides can connect multiple Dynamic machines.
- Ergonomic Handle: The Dynamic’s ergonomic rowing handle is slightly angled to support a natural rowing motion.
- Wireless Heart Rate Data: The Performance Monitor 5 can work with ATN and Bluetooth to show heart rate data.
- Higher Profile: Seating for the Concept2 Dynamic Indoor Rower is 20” from the ground, which is the height of a typical chair and good for users with mobility issues.
- For Longer Legs: This machine accommodates rowers with inseams up to 40”. Rail extensions are also available.
- Compact Size: The Concept2 rower is just 76” long, 20” shorter than the Model D and Model E.
- Transport Wheels: Attached wheels make it easy to roll this unit into position.
- High Capacity: The maximum user weight capacity is 500 pounds.
- Good Warranty: The Concept2 Dynamic is covered by a limited five-year warranty on the frame and two-year warranty on the computer and moving parts.
- Storage: The main drawback of this unit is storage. It takes up less space than the other Concept2 rowing machines, but it can’t be divided into two sections for storage.
The Concept2 Dynamic Indoor Rower offers great value for high-traffic workout rooms. While it can certainly be used by novice rowers (and provides a good training base to start from), it’s also a fantastic choice for people who actually row competitively. It’s engineered to fit the vast majority of body sizes and skill levels, and comes backed by an impressive warranty package. This is quite simply one of the best air resistance rowers on the market and deserves consideration from anyone assembling a commercial gym or training a rowing team.
Frequently Asked Questions
76" L x 24.3" W x 21.5" H
Maximum User Weight Capacity