The Jawbone UP24, UP2 vs UP3 Comparison: 3 Devices Guaranteed to Get You “UP” and Moving
The Jawbone Up line of fitness trackers is an elite group of devices that do just what their name implies: they get you up and moving. The line features two of the hottest trackers currently on the market: the UP3 and the UP24, both of which are known for their precision and effectiveness. While each of these devices delivers customized information and motivation to get you moving, they also have different selling points, making it hard for many consumers to choose between the two. To help settle the confusion and arm you with the necessary information to make the right choice we are going to take a comprehensive look at each of these trackers. We will compare the Jawbone Up 24 vs Up 3 so you can decide which is the one for you.
The UP3 is all tracker and has no smart-watch capabilities, so it keeps you on goal and focused. It is designed with enhanced features meant to take your workouts to the next level. It is packed with sensors for a multi-level look and analysis of your daily activities.
It has all the same great features the Up 24 has, plus three LED lights to show activity status, sleep and notifications, heart-rate monitoring, exercise differentiation and advanced sleep tracking to get you serious about your health. These added features provide you with an in-depth look of how active and fit you are. The UP3’s key features are:
• Made with tin coated stainless steel and anodized aluminum, the band is slim, light and waterproof. It can be worn while swimming, diving or taking a shower and it won’t miss a beat. It comes in silver or black, giving it a stylish, yet mature look.
• Heart-rate monitoring allows you and your device to get a better understanding of how healthy you really are. Your resting heart-rate signals how efficiently your body is working when your at rest- the best indicator of how effective your workouts are. It also helps Smart coach give you more accurate advice and information streamlined to your needs.
• Auto Activity Classification is an impressive feature that lets your device differentiate and recognize the different activities you do, for more precise tracking. Every time you perform an activity your tracker notes it, so when you do it again the device automatically recognizes it and logs it. That means it can give advanced statistics on calories burned and other information because it has a clearer picture of what your doing.
• Advanced Sleep tracking allows your device to record the various stages of sleep and how long you are in each stage so you know how much rest you really got. This is very helpful because it enables Smart coach to give you tips to improve your sleep habits and indicates how your sleep will affect your day.
Jawbone UP3 is running 34% off that you can’t miss. Check out the UP3 discount before it expires.
The UP2 tracker is one of Jawbone’s most affordable and functional devices on the market. Designed to look like a bracelet, it was made for those who want to look good while getting in shape. This tracker is packed with all the high end features you would expect in a more expensive model, like seep monitoring and Smart Coach to help guide your experience.
Fitted with multi–accelerometers, it uses algorithms to record and analyze your movements and habits to give you tailored readings that not only tell you how well you’re doing, but where to improve. Using LED lights in blue, orange and white it lets you discreetly know how you are progressing towards your daily goals and alerts you throughout the day. It also has a cool idle alert to let you know it’s time to start moving, getting you used to exercise. The UP2 key features include:
• Two design styles: the UP2 comes in 2 great colors: silver and gunmetal gray, giving the devices a sophisticated look that can be worn for work and play. The band is slim, but quite durable and made of hypoallergenic material that stretches for a comfy fit and the “face” has a hexagonal, etch style that fashion-minded individuals will love.
The face is made of anodized aluminum, so while it’s not water-proof, it is splash proof. That means you can get caught in the rain or work up a sweat without doing any damage.
• Smart Coach: The Smart Coach app is a steal at this price and really elevated the UP2 to an elite level. Smart Coach monitors all your data throughout the day and then gives you analysis, tips and advice on how to improve your routine.
For those who are just starting to get in-shape, or those who like having a personal coach of sorts, this is a great feature. It doesn’t just keep you focused, it tells you how to exercise more efficiently, making the most of your time and helping you achieve success.
• Activity and Food Logging: with the ability to track steps, distance and calories, as well as provide you with a way to log what you eat each day, the UP2 covers all the bases when it comes to healthy living. With the food app you can input your daily calorie and weight goals, add meals or look up nutrition information for what you eat.
This is really helpful for those on a diet because what you eat is just as important as the exercises you do. With this, it can steer you towards the right foods to eat and prevent you from sabotaging your diet. It is also helpful for those with dietary restrictions or health problems because it can get them on the right path to eating better.
• Sleep Monitoring: Very accurate sleep monitoring and nice graph showing how well you slept last night.
The Jawbone UP24 is a pure tracker that is meant to do only one thing: get you exercising. It is sleek, thin and has a simple interface with two lights to mark your progress and tell you if you’ve hit your daily goals. There are no distracting email or incoming call alerts– just goal indicators and a discreet alarm to tell you when you’ve been sitting too long. All your information is automatically synced and uploaded to the free Up app, so you can view your progress and see where and how to improve. You can also monitor your daily food intake with the app, to better streamline your exercise programs.
The Up24’s main features include:
• The band is slim, lightweight and splash-proof, so it’s comfortable to wear and you don’t have to worry abut getting caught in the rain. It is made of hypoallergenic rubber, so it moves with you and won’t irritate your skin. It also comes in 6 colors: red, lemon-lime, navy blue, coral, permission and pink, so it fits anyone’s style
• Smart Coach: this feature recognizes your daily activities and sleep patterns and gives you suggestions on ways to strengthen your routine and improve overall health.
• It tracks activity and sleep, to give you a complete picture of your fitness levels. It logs calories burned, steps taken and other activities throughout the day and also monitors hours of sleep and levels of sleep, showing how well rested you are.
• Idle Alert allows you to set the amount of time you want to be idle – if you are sitting for longer than that the tracker will give you a light vibration to let you know it’s time to start moving.
The Jawbone UP24, UP2 vs UP3: Head-to-Head Comparison
As you can see each of these devices has numerous strengths that make it a solid investment. Now, lets take a look at how each compares overall, category by category.
• Band: The UP 24 comes in a variety of colors and is made with rubber and the Up 3 comes in basic silver and black and is designed with tin and aluminum. While the rubber tends to move more fluidly with your body the manufacturer recommends that you not bend it too much, as it can break. The UP3 is more durable, giving it an advantage in this category.
Unlike the UP24 and UP3, the UP2 has a band that can stretch and move without fear of it breaking. It is also hypoallergenic, giving it the advantage in this category.
• Dimensions: The Up 24 comes in three sizes: small (66 mm W × 50 mm H; 19 grams), medium (76 mm W × 54 mm H; 22 grams) and large (81 mm W × 56 mm H; 23 grams). The UP 3 is a one-size fits most design with dimensions of 220mm x 12.2mm x 3.0mm-9.3mm; 29 grams. The Up 24 can give a better fit thanks to the various sizes available and weighs less, making it the better option in this area.
The UP2 fits most wrists and has dimensions of: 220mm x 11.5mm x 3.0-8.5mm.
• Waterproofing: The Up 24 is splash-proof, so it wont get ruined from sweat or rain, but you can’t submerge it, so no showers or any other activities involving water. The Up 3 is waterproof in up to 10m of water so you can swim, dive an more with no worries. Advantage UP3.
Like the UP24, the UP2 is also splash-proof, so activities are limited to land only.
Sensors & Interface
The UP24 has an tri-axis accelerometer to differentiate between steps and climbing, which gives a better indication of actual calories burned. The UP3 has multiple sensors: in addition to the tri-axis accelerometer, it has a bio-impedence sensor to measure heart-rate, respiration and galvanic skin response(GSR)
, skin temperature sensors and ambient temperature sensors as well.
The wide range of sensors gives a much more clear and accurate depiction of how your body is moving and gives the Up 3 a distinct advantage. Plus, it has 3 LED indicators, showing how you stack up in terms of sleep and movement and signals notifications as compared to the Up 24 which only indicates daily overall progress.
The UP2 is fitted with a tari-axis accelerometer, so it can detect not just when you move, but how. It can tell steps, distance and heights, for more well-rounded data. The sensors can also help track sleep patterns, for an overall picture of your cardiovascular health.
The Up 24 comes with a 32mAh Lithium-ion polymer battery that can last up to 14 days with proper software updates. It can be fully charged in 80 minutes.
The UP3 has a rechargeable 38 mAh Lithium-Ion polymer battery that lasts 7 days and charges within 100 minutes, giving the 24 a clear advantage.
The UP2 also has a rechargeable Lithium-Ion Polymer battery that can charge in just 60 minutes. Even better, it can last for 10 days on a single charge, giving it the clear advantage here.
See Best Price
The main features are where these three devices really differ. The addition of the heart-rate sensor lets the UP3 track your progress with pin-point precision. It can analyze multiple aspects of your exercise regimen and see how it impact multiple areas of your health. This gives you a more realistic picture of whether or not you are exercising right.
This added feature, along with the enhanced sleep monitoring and it’s ability to recognize different exercise activities truly sets it apart. Your calories burned and daily movements will be much more precisely tracked.
Also, the extra sensors let the Smart coach feature work at it’s maximum level, so you get customized advice. For example, the “Today I Will” feature gives you a daily challenge based on your workout numbers to motivate you and push you to the next level. These extras are what make the Up 3 more appealing.
The Up 24 retails for $80 and the Up 3 sells at $179. The pricing is not that far apart and you get your money’s worth with both, as each price fits the devices specifications. You can also take advantage of several Jawbone discounts that are available through various retailers for even lower prices.
Either one of these devices would be a great choice, but the Up3 is the clear winner. It is only priced a little bit higher, yet you get so many more features for a completely customized and comprehensive analysis of your daily activities. Serious fitness enthusiasts and beginners will both love its in-depth tracking and will appreciate it’s sturdiness and versatility.
When it comes to the Jawbone UP 3 vs UP 24 and UP2 consumers have good things to say about all of them. Minimalists love the simplicity and streamlined focus of the Up 24 while health aficionados rave over the complex analyzing the UP3 can perform. Then there are stylists and the budget-conscious consumers fawning over the UP2’s sleek look and packed features. They love that you get so much while paying so little- and I agree! Whichever one you choose will be a solid investment guaranteed to get you “up” and moving, which is all that really matters.
See Best Price