Grokker is a subscription health and fitness video company for individuals and organizations. They advertise “Sweat it out, de-stress, or just relax with a video.” Main categories in the Grokker video library are Yoga, Fitness and Cooking. More than a dozen subtypes of streaming yoga classes are offered, e.g., hatha, power vinyasa, and prenatal yoga. Among the other Grokker workout classes are indoor cycling, kickboxing, pilates, strength training, meditation, and many more. Read on for our complete Grokker review.
|Skill Level||All Levels|
Rating: 70/100. Examples of Grokker exercise video topics include:
- Gentle Yoga
- Weight Loss Yoga
- High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- Weight Training
Grokker is popular with individuals at all fitness levels, and also with companies seeking to support employee wellness. The videos can help people manage or overcome existing health conditions and prevent new problems from arising. Benefits range from managing weight to managing stress, protecting the heart, sleeping more soundly, and improving mental focus.
You can watch Grokker videos on your desktop or laptop computer, tablet computer, smartphone or TV. Five options for watching Grokker on TV are:
- Apple TV
- Comcast Xfinity On Demand
- Google Chromecast
- Running an HDMI cable from your computer to the set
How much does Grokker cost? Each member gets a free two-week trial. After that, service is $14.95/month with a month-to-month agreement or $9.99/month with an annual subscription.
- Convenience. Grokker is designed to fit easily with people’s lives. Rev up or wind down at home, at work, in a park — anywhere with WiFi. Videos ranges from brief to long, and they’re accessible on mobile devices and work computers as well as streamable to TV.
- Ease of use. Grokker is headquartered in Silicon Valley and shows off the region’s top-notch programming. Choosing a video is made simple, and the Grokker app makes personalized recommendations.
- Variety. Grokker streaming videos are meant to help anyone’s wellbeing. The wide selection includes options for every ability level and interest. Many options are low-impact on joints yet highly efficient at calorie burn, cardio training and strengthening the body. The meal inspiration also caters to many different tastes.
- Cuisine tips. In addition to streaming workout videos, Grokker offers an extensive collection of cooking videos to support a healthful lifestyle. Skill levels range from easy to “artisanal.” Recipes are arranged into dozens of categories such as Appetizers, Breakfast & Brunch, BBQ & Grilling, Desserts, Chinese, French, Indian, Vegetarian, and Vegan & Raw Food.
- Experts. Grokker workout videos and recipe videos feature certified personal trainers and other experts. For example, a Grokker recipe expert is also a medical lecturer at Stanford University, and a Grokker fitness video instructor is a former Olympic athlete and Gladiator. The company also has pros on call to answer subscribers’ questions about health and fitness.
- Office-friendly. With apps like Grokker, a workplace can help employees integrate 15 minutes of wellness videos into their workdays and, we imagine, get good returns in terms of better morale, fewer health care problems, reduced absenteeism and lower turnover.
- Extras. A social networking component and calendar feature of the Grokker app can help people stay motivated and follow through on commitments to exercise.
- Preview & free trial. To help you decide whether Grokker is the best streaming workout service for your needs, the company posts previews of many classes. Scroll through the homepage to sample videos organized by workout style or instructor. After signup you’ll have a 14-day trial period during which you may cancel service before your card is ever charged.
- Credit card. Subscribers need to provide a credit card number up-front. You won’t be charged if you cancel within 14 days.
- Not pro-rated. You can cancel a Grokker subscription anytime. However, you won’t be refunded for any unused time.
- Limited Android. Android users can only access Grokker through the website (not with an app). For now it’s best for Apple/iOS devices and TV.
Grokker delivers streaming videos to support holistic wellness. Members can access hundreds of videos in areas as diverse as stretching, HIIT (high intensity interval training), kickboxing, meditating, and making sushi rolls. The streaming video is supported on smartphones, tablet computers, work computers and TV as explained below. The Grokker app also supports social networking and activity reminders.
Main categories for Grokker videos are Yoga, Fitness and Cooking. The company name is inspired by the science fiction novel Stranger In a Strange Land, where the verb “grok” can mean “to be one with.”
How it Works
A Grokker membership begins with a two-week trial period. If you choose to keep Grokker, you’ll be billed monthly or annually. (Annual is cheaper per day.) Subscribers have 24/7 access to well-organized video libraries.
Grokker streams an especially wide variety of health and fitness video topics. For 2017 the following is just a small sample:
- HIIT Club
- Honestly Healthy Slim Down
- Nourishing Heart
- Metabolism-Boosting Yoga
- Perfect Pilates
- Power Cycle
- 14-Day Yoga Challenge
Many of the video series are equipment-free. When workout equipment will be needed, it’s noted in the video description under “At A Glance.”
The “Basic membership” with Grokker refers to the two-week trial. When you pay, the membership is called “Premium.”
Premium Grokker membership costs $9.99/month if you pay for a year in advance, which totals $119.98. It costs $14.95/month if you pay month-to-month, which would be $179.40 over a year. Membership automatically renews if you do not click the “Cancel” button or send an email to customer support.
Grokker is one of the best streaming workout video apps for people seeking gentle yoga and other low-intensity stress management exercises, and/or higher-intensity workout guidance. Benefits include weight loss along with better focus, strength and cardio endurance.
With its reminder tool, personalized recommendations and meal inspirations, the app can help people at all fitness levels optimize their wellbeing. Grokker membership is competitively priced at just $9.99 or $14.95 per month.