The Total Gym FIT was introduced in 2017. Like other Total Gyms, this model is a gravity gym. It uses your bodyweight to deliver custom resistance built for you. Regardless of the intensity of the workout, the Total Gym FIT respects your joints through low-impact motion. This popular home gym has 12 resistance settings and supports more than 85 exercises for strength, flexibility, and cardio health. A well rounded and versatile machine.
|Model||Total Gym FIT|
|Max. Weight||% of bodyweight|
|User Weight||450 lbs|
|Accessories||- Total Gym Tools & DVD|
This mid-priced home gym can strengthen and sculpt every major muscle group with more than 85 exercises such as squats, leg presses, abdominal crunches, and pull-ups. It even offers cross-training possibilities combining cardio workouts and strength training without putting too much strain on joints. The body weight resistance system is low-impact unlike typical home gyms that use weight stacks. This machine can satisfy virtually any exercise need from gentle physical rehabilitation to intense high-energy workouts for weight loss and stamina.
Like most Total Gyms, the FIT arrives assembled. Most exercises use the Glideboard, which is a long padded workout bench. You can also stand to use the squat accessory and other attachments. Moving from one exercise to another is quick and easy, making whole-body workouts seamless.
- Uses different percentages of your bodyweight for customized resistance.
- Has 12 resistance settings.
- Low impact on joints compared with weight stack gyms.
- Includes accessories for accomplishing 85+ exercises.
- Includes seven workout DVDs and an illustrated exercise chart.
- Includes a nutritional program from a leading Hollywood fitness coach.
- Equipment weighs just 66 pounds.
- The machine has generous weight limit of 450 pounds.
- $1 trial and a money-back guarantee.
- Excellent customer reviews.
- The parts warranty is quite short given the $1,500 price.
- You’ll need a DVD player or computer in your home gym room to use the workout videos.
Total Gym earns high praise from almost every customer. As advertised, Total Gyms are effective and fun to use. The Total Gym FIT is no exception. Most users will focus on strength training, but this equipment is ideal for low-impact cross training as well. In fact, more than 85 exercises routines are available through the Glideboard and its accessories.
Home Gym Workouts
Seven workout DVDs are bundled with the new Total Gym FIT:
- Start It Up: Recommended as a first workout that guides you through Total Gym use.
- Beginner Program: A good way to start building strength, stamina, and energy.
- Intermediate Program: Guides you through intermediate strength training to burn fat and build muscle.
- Advanced Program: A five-day program with separate upper-body and lower-body videos for advanced strength training.
- Beginner Express: A DVD with short training sessions ideal for when time is limited or to ease into a regular Total Gym routine.
- 6-8 Minute Workout – Another 12 Total Gym routines for days when users are pressed for time.
- AbCrunch Workout – An impressive video guide that uses the Total Gym ab crunch accessory to tone abdominals and improve posture.
The FIT home gym also arrives with an illustrated wall chart with instructions for 35 different exercises that can be done with the machine. If you’d prefer not to plaster exercise instructions on your wall, there is also the Total Gym Training Deck. This deck of cards also offers exercise instructions and can slide into a card holder on the machine during workouts.
Finally, the “Nutritional Program & Meal Plan” by Dan Isaacson is included with your gym equipment. Isaacson is a well-known Hollywood personal trainer who helped create the Total Gym collection.
Total Gym FIT Features
The Total Gym website shows four total fitness home gyms, all of which look quite similar to one another. Each Total Gym has a Glideboard (a padded workout bench) that is surrounded by pulleys and other exercise accessories. But when you compare Total Gym sets for a few minutes, you see that the Glideboard and accessories differ quite a bit from model to model.
The most important aspect that differentiates the machines are the Glideboard settings. By adjusting the angle of the padded workout board, you adjust the amount of resistance. You can minimize the effect of gravity or work against a higher percentage of your body weight. Choose from 12 settings for customized strength training.
The Total Gym FIT certainly has the best-looking Glideboard, but far more important are the exercise accessories:
- AbCrunch Accessory – The Total Gym AbCrunch is their best-selling accessory. It’s useful for beginning to advanced abdominal crunches that lengthen your obliques, strengthen your core, and improve your posture.
- Two-Piece Wing Attachment – Work your arms and core with the two-piece wing attachment, which is an upgrade over the basic Total Gym wing accessory.
- Leg Pull Attachments – Total Gym leg pull accessories help tone your hamstrings and quadriceps.
- Squat Stand – The FIT home gym has an upgraded squat stand compared with cheaper models. You can trim and tone your legs with this adjustable-height fitness tool.
When you tire of all those accessaries, other attachments are available for sale to add to your your Total Gym workout routine, such as a pilates set.
Additional features include:
- New Auto-Lock Height Adjustment System for easier transition between exercises
- Flexible nylon strap handles
- Reinforced Slide Pivot Assembly for extra strength and durability
- New Custom Fender System delivers a smoother ride
- Upgraded Pulley and Cable system
- Upgraded Steel Frame
The equipment is sturdy, yet at 66 pounds the machine is relatively lightweight and easy to move. It can also be folded for storage. The dimensions are:
- Unfolded: 18.5 inches long, 93 inches wide, 44.5 inches high
- Folded: 18.5 inches long, 50.5 inches wide, 8.5 inches high
Priced at $1699.95, the FIT is one of the best equipment from Total Gym for the average shopper. The elite model costs thousands more.
Warranty & Guarantee
The factory-direct home warranty provides frame and parts coverage:
Frame: Lifetime warranty
Parts: Two-year warranty
This cross training gym is even available for a $1 trial. Shipping is free in the lower 48 states.
Total Gym is a decades-old fitness brand with a strong reputation. Their Total Gym FIT in particular is a best buy home gym for many shoppers. Still, it might be worth taking a few minutes to compare Total Gyms. You can see them side-by-side on the manufacturer’s website. The machines are rather similar, yet vary dramatically in terms of price and accessories. Depending on your needs, it might be wiser to invest in a cheaper model along with a few extra accessories. These machines are easily personalized, so do the research to make sure that you don’t end up buying an expensive Total Gym that you’ll never use to its full potential.
Questions & Answers
- How do you fold the Total Gym FIT?
First, remove all of the accessories and attachments including the wings. Next, attach the arm pulley cable to the underside of the glide board and release the safety hitch and pin from the board. Step one foot onto the back crossbar to hold the unit in place, and hold the top rail with one hand. After pulling the quick-release pin, lower the rails and rest them on the back crossbar. Then, pull the spring-loaded pin on the left side rail’s bottom while holding the vertical rail with the other hand. Fold the unit down to its center and hear it click into place.
- How do you set up the Total Gym FIT?
The machine is actually quite easy to set up as one simply pulls the release pins and the mechanisms slide into place.
- What are the major differences between Total Gym models?
The biggest differences between models include the number of total exercises, the level of resistance, number of attachments, and user weight maximum. The top end Total Gym GTS offers 200 exercises, 22 levels of resistance, eight attachments, and 650 pounds of user weight maximum.
- Is the Total Gym FIT good for cardio?
While seemingly designed for resistance the machine can certainly provide a great cardio workout.
- How do you use the Total Gym FIT?
The machine is used as by sliding one’s bodyweight across the glide board using a cable/pulley system.