The Total Gym FIT was introduced in 2017. Like other Total Gyms, this model is a gravity gym; it uses your bodyweight to deliver custom resistance, and at any intensity it respects your joints with low-impact motion. This popular home gym has 12 resistance settings and supports more than 85 exercises for strength, flexibility and cardio health. Read on for our Total Gym FIT review.
|Model||Total Gym FIT|
|Max. Weight||% of bodyweight|
|User Weight||450 lbs
|Accessories||- Total Gym Tools & DVD|
Rating: 86.7/100. Total Gym, a popular brand of low impact fitness equipment, has a new multipurpose trainer called the Total Gym FIT. This mid-priced home gym for 2018 can strengthen and sculpt every major muscle group with more than 85 exercises such as squats, leg presses, abdominal crunches and pull-ups. You can even accomplish cross training (combine your cardio workout and strength training) without stressing your joints. The body weight resistance system is low-impact unlike typical gyms that use weight stacks. It’s a favorite for everything from gentle physical rehabilitation to intense high-energy workouts for weight loss and stamina.
Like most Total Gyms the FIT arrives already assembled. Most exercises use the Glideboard, which is a long padded workout bench. You can also stand to use the squat accessory and other attachments. Moving from one exercise to another is quick and easy, so your whole-body workouts can be seamless and keep your heart pumping.
A library of workout DVDs ships with this new model. For any skill level the DVDs can help make workout sessions fun and effective.
The new Total Gym FIT easily earns positive customer reviews. Here are strengths and a few possible drawbacks to consider as you compare home gyms.
- Uses different percentages of your bodyweight for customized resistance
- Has 12 resistance settings
- Is low impact on joints compared with weight stack gyms
- Includes accessories for accomplishing 85+ exercises
- Includes seven workout DVDs and an illustrated exercise chart
- Includes a nutritional program from a leading Hollywood fitness coach
- Equipment weighs just 66 pounds
- Is safe for users up to 450 pounds
- $1 trial and a money-back guarantee
- Excellent customer reviews; virtually no complaints
- The parts warranty is short for the roughly $1500 sale price
- You’ll need a DVD player or computer in your home gym room to use the videos
Total Gym earns high praise from almost all its customers. Just as advertised, Total Gyms are effective and fun to use. The newest residential model is called Total Gym FIT. You can focus just on strength training, but this is ideal equipment for low-impact cross training too. Accomplish more than 85 exercises with the Glideboard and accessories! As explained below the FIT gym has 12 Glideboard angle settings to vary the challenge.
Home Gym Workouts
Seven workout DVDs are bundled with the new Total Gym FIT:
- Start It Up – Recommended as a first workout; guides you through Total Gym use
- Beginner Program – A good way to start building strength, stamina and energy
- Intermediate Program – Guides you through intermediate strength training to burn fat and build muscle
- Advanced Program – A five-day program with separate upper-body and lower-body videos for advanced strength training
- Beginner Express – A DVD with short training sessions for when time is very limited, or to use if you’re very slowly easing into Total Gym use
- 6-8 Minute Workout – Features another 12 Total Gym routines for days when you’re pressed for time
- AbCrunch Workout – An impressive video guide that uses the Total Gym abcrunch accessory to tone your abdominals and improve your posture
Also to support your workouts, the FIT home gym arrives with an illustrated wall chart. The chart shows how to perform 35 exercises with your new fitness equipment.
You’ll get the Total Gym Training Deck too. The deck features cards with different exercises. Using the card holder, you can arrange the exercises to help guide a personal training program.
Finally, the “Nutritional Program & Meal Plan” by Dan Isaacson is included with your gym equipment. Isaacson is a well-known Hollywood personal trainer who helped create the Total Gym collection.
Total Gym FIT Features
The Total Gym website shows four total fitness home gyms in 2018. These all-in-one gym sets look very similar to one another; each has a Glideboard (a padded workout bench) that’s surrounded by pulleys and other exercise accessories. But when you compare Total Gym sets for a few minutes, you see that the Glideboard and accessories differ from model to model.
Most important are the Glideboard settings. By adjusting the angle of this padded workout board, you adjust the amount of resistance. You can minimize the effect of gravity, or you can work against a higher percentage of your body weight. Choose from 12 settings for customized strength training.
In our review the Total Gym FIT gets the best-looking Glideboard. It has the latest design, black with white and yellow striping… but more important are the exercise accessories.
The new Total Gym FIT includes the following attachments:
- AbCrunch Accessory – The Total Gym abcrunch is their best-selling accessory. It’s useful for beginning to advanced abdominal crunches that lengthen your obliques, strengthen your core and improve your posture.
- Two-Piece Wing Attachment – Work your arms and core with the two-piece wing attachment, which is an upgrade over the basic Total Gym wing accessory.
- Leg Pull Attachments – Total Gym leg pull accessories help tone your hamstrings and quadriceps.
- Squat Stand – The FIT home gym has an upgraded squat stand compared with cheaper models. You can trim and tone your legs with this adjustable-height fitness tool.
You can buy other attachments to vary your Total Gym workout routine. For example, a pilates set is sold separately.
The equipment is sturdy, yet at 66 pounds it’s lightweight and easy to reposition. It can also be folded for storage. The dimensions are:
- Unfolded: 18.5” x 93” x 44.5”
- Folded: 18.5” x 50.5” x 8.5”
The Total Gym FIT in this review is second from the top. (There are four models on the factory website.) At around $1500 the FIT is the best Total Gym for the average shopper; the elite model costs thousands more.
Warranty & Guarantee
The factory-direct home warranty provides frame and parts coverage:
Frame: Lifetime warranty
Parts: Two-year warranty
This cross training gym is available for a $1 trial. Shipping is free in the lower 48 states.