Peloton users beware; Flywheel is an indoor cycling brand to be reckoned with. The former Global President of Equinox, one of the largest luxury fitness studios in the world branched off to launch her own company giving people the ability to get an amazing workout from anywhere they happen to be. Sarah Robb O’Hagan is the fierce woman behind Flywheel who aims to bring home fitness to the same level as what you’d expect in a local studio experience.
|Model||Flywheel Fly Anywhere Bike|
|Drive System||Ply V Belt|
|Frame||Steel frame with full frame shroud|
|Programs||on-demand classes, plus 1000 saved workouts|
|Max. Weight||330 lbs|
|Dimensions||56"L x 20.5"W x 47"H|
|Warranty||1 year warranty|
Rating: 87.8/100. The Flywheel Fly Anywhere bike and program are designed for those looking to workout on their own schedule, in the comfort of their home while having a large variety of options and challenges to choose from. The programs on the Flywheel app offer a large range of options, from introductory rides to intense rides at different time lengths, as well as off-the-bike workouts to strengthen and tone. The Flywheel website offers different buying levels to cater to customers needs such as bike upgrades, accessories, and clothing.
The bike itself has a great ergonomic setup with a flywheel in the back, and is easy to maneuver at an overall weight of 112 lbs. For those looking to move the bike daily, this is an amazing feature as most studio-grade bikes with screens tend to be heavy and a burden to move around. The bike comes with clips but can be switched to different pedals if needed. Clip-in pedals do offer users more control, torque and are much closer to an in-studio experience, so this bike is geared more toward those who are avid riders. The bike can hold up to 330 lbs and height ranges from 5’1” to 7’0”. One of the best features of this bike is the option to include a built-in tablet screen. For those looking for the option to use the app on a tablet or phone or perhaps have days where you want to ride to your favorite TV show instead, this is the bike for you.
- Great instructors from 42 different studios worldwide
- Library of over 1000 workouts
- Classes from 10 to 60 minutes offering range of workout plans
- DJ-curated playlists
- Variety of classes ranging from high intensity interval training, to resistance building, advanced rides and rhythm riding
- First class is $15 but they offer packages with average price per class dropping as you buy more, ranging $19-$28/class
- Ability to join live classes with real instructors
- Torq board displays your output and physical statistics—you can compare your own to others during the ride
- Ability to see instructor profiles like a spin studio so you can choose classes on instructors personality, music style, and schedule
- Flybarre series of classes in the non-live portal that are off the bike and focus on abs and arms, strength training, core, etc.
- $1699 price point with the options to add built-in 1080p HD touch screen and monthly subscription fee of $39/month
- “Build your own bike” option online allows you to customize what you want in the bike in terms of accessories and display option
- 1 year warranty and a team assembles for you when delivered
- Website also sells all accessories in addition such as headphones, shoes, waterbottles, seat covers, weights, exercise mat, exercise ball, and more
- Clothing available with Fly branding on LuluLemon
- Bike includes dual waterbottle holders and 3 points of adjustment for seat height, moving seat forward and back, and handlebar height
- Expensive classes for non-in-studio experience, comparable pricing to SoulCycle and other major spin studios ($28/class drop in rate)
- Region options are only in the USA currently, does not offer international shipping
We could go on forever about the qualities of the Flywheel Fly Anywhere bike and how it is going to help you achieve, if not surpass, your fitness goals… but let’s focus on its main selling points. This bike is a great price point for a high-quality machine that is backed by the woman who was President for Equinox when Flywheel bought SoulCycle. SoulCycle is notorious as one of the best and fastest growing spin studios across the USA and now recently entered Canada. Customers can purchase this bike knowing its design and structure are coming from a company that knows the indoor cycling industry inside and out.
The programs for Flywheel feature a wide variety, boasting over 1000 different workouts by elite instructors. It includes a program aside from cycling called Flybarre that includes abs and arms, toning, and strength building. Users can get both a cardio burn or endurance ride while cycling, as well as a full body workout. The cycling programs include high intensity rides at various time lengths. The Fly Bike also carries a variety of options such as endurance, climbing, and rhythm riding. The Flybarre programs are off-the-bike workouts that incorporate weights, body core movements, and even strength/recovery. Users can improve their fitness through the programs by alternating workouts to achieve full body results.
Flywheel Fly Anywhere Bike Features
Aside from its comfortable setup, smooth flywheel and clip-in pedals, the Fly Anywhere Bike includes dual water bottle holders and the option to purchase a screen or just use the tablet display. By having the option to forgo a screen attached to the handlebars, it makes it easy for users to do off-the-bike workouts using a tablet or phone and move around. This feature also allows riders to use the bike while watching TV on days they don’t want to take a class.
Another major selling point for this bike is that it includes purchasing options, such as various packages that will give you more bells and whistles depending on what you require. Unlike other brands on the market, the Flywheel offers options that will allow users to get the bike they want without breaking the bank with too many upgraded features. The instructors on the app are experienced and personable, and are culled from 42 different cycling studios. Since the instructors are teaching live taped classes, the experience of riding is much closer to be right there in the studio with them. Users can join live classes throughout the day and choose instructors based on their detailed profiles that provide information such as music taste, personal background, and type of classes. Users can see their statistics throughout the ride as well as others participating, giving them the added element of competition while having the ability to monitor progress.
While the downfalls of the Flywheel are that it does not currently ship internationally and the drop-in price per class is about the same as riding in a studio, the overall quality of Flywheel puts it high on the list of indoor bike purchases. Since the bike itself comes in at a much lower price point than competitors such as the Peloton, the monthly subscription will be more affordable for users upgrading their indoor workout experience.
Warranty & Guarantee
The Flywheel Fly Anywhere Bike comes with a one-year warranty.
Overall, the Flywheel Bike is a great option for those weighing options among the ever-growing market of indoor trainers with fitness apps. Flywheel has a strong, professional, experienced background and high quality products to go with it. The price point is respectable and offers a wide variety of options when purchasing. This bike is a great competitor with the popular Peloton and offers just as many ride options with amazing instructors but without the costly price point. Our advice, skip the popularity vote and go with quality and options that will cater to your personal workout needs at a respectable price.