Best Exercise Bikes of 2023
Time for a new indoor bike? You may already have your eye on a few, but the challenge is figuring out which one is right for you.
We’re here to help! Take a look at our Top 5 Best Rated Exercise Bikes chart below to compare the best value bikes on the market and save yourself time and money on your hunt. These top-ranked machines represent the main exercise bike categories: recumbent exercise bikes, upright stationary bikes and indoor cycle trainers. Each bike is extraordinary for its price class, but the selection is diverse in terms of budget and style.
For personalized exercise bike suggestions, refer to the drop-down menus above. Click away to find the best home exercise bike deals based on price, brand and type of bike.
There’s no question, indoor bikes make for great additions to the garage gym or home. Always available, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, rain or shine, the best bikes make great partners to other pieces of equipment already acquired. Or, if just now venturing into the realm of home fitness, perhaps this is the first piece of equipment for a brand new home gym.
Either way, fitness fans want to make sure they’re getting the best bike for their home, and that means a thorough review of the specs. Some bikes are built to fold up and roll away, while others are more likely to stay in place. A growing number of bikes come with large touchscreens and interactive training programs included, while others focus more on the basics.
The great thing about an indoor bike at home is that it can always be parked in front of a smart television set and users can enjoy interactive apps like iFit or Peloton, or just watch movies. And that’s why when reviewing the bikes below, another consideration of course is the online programming that comes with.
Top 5 Best Rated Exercise Bikes
NordicTrack Commercial S27i
|Type||Indoor Cycle||Indoor Cycle||Recumbent||Indoor||Upright|
|Resistance||24 Levels||24 Levels||40 Levels||32||27" Fan|
6 Fan Blades
|Display||27" HD touchscreen||22" HD touchscreen||10.1" TFT LCD||24-inch Curved HD Touchscreen||LCD Screen|
|Programs||iFit||iFit Coach||10||Echelon Fit app||7 on board workouts|
|Pricing||See Best Price||See Best Price||See Best Price||See Best Price||See Best Price|
- 24 levels of magnetic resistance
- iFit programming
- 22-inch HD touchscreen
- Max user weight 250 pounds
- 56.5 inches x 21.9 inches x 54 inches
Consistently a top-ranked indoor bike, the ProForm Studio Bike Pro 22 brings a solid machine to the home gym and is designed to work with the iFit Coach fitness community. A nearly silent magnetic resistance system affords 24 levels for users of any age or stage in their fitness journey. Engineered from high-quality steel, the bike is also equipped with front-loaded transport wheels. It comes with a 10-year frame, 2-year parts and 1-year labor warranty.
- 40 levels of resistance
- Integrated tablet holder and 10.1-inch TFT LCD display
- 10 built-in workout programs
- 2 heart rate programs with sensors and chest straps
- Max user weight 350 pounds
- 57 inches x 30 inches x 50 inches
A recumbent bike built with comfort in mind, the Sole LCR brings a seat with 12 adjustable positions. Consistently ranked most comfortable in its class, the bike brings a plethora of features in terms of built-in programs and accessories. Designed to let users focus their energy on burning up the leg muscles, the Sole LCR has an impressive max weight of 350 pounds, as well as a lifetime warranty on the frame.
- Air resistance with 27-inch fan and six blades
- Upper body levers
- 7 built-in workout programs
- Wireless heart rate receiver
- Max user weight 300 pounds
- 50.95″ L x 23.34″ W x 50″ H
A Best In Class bike, the Assault AirBike is among the Go-To’s for U.S. military facilities. Designed around the concept of air resistance, the bike provides nearly unlimited resistance for both legs and upper body. A good, old fashioned workout bike for those who want to earn the burn without a lot of tech involved, the Assault AirBike does deserve much fan-fare.
- 24 levels of Silent Magnetic Resistance
- 22-inch HD Touchscreen
- Wireless telemetry and grip sensors
- Max user weight 350 pounds
- 63″ L x 22″ W x 60″ H
Designed to be a luxury model among indoor bikes, the NordicTrack Commercial 22i Studio Bike comes with a 22-inch HD touchscreen and iFit-enabling. Heart rate monitoring is afforded by way of wireless telemetry and grip sensors, and this bike features a unique “slope setting” of -10 to 20%. The bike also features a 10-year warranty on the frame.
- Air resistance by way of 27 inches and 9 blades
- LCD Performance Monitor
- 7 built-in workout programs
- Chest strap compatible heart rate program
- 48 inches x 28 inches x 54.5 inches
- Max user weight 350 pounds
Another highly-ranked air resistance bike, the XTERRA machine comes with a few more benefits tech-wise, incorporating a monitor and built-in workout programs. This affords users the opportunity to monitor their heart rate while pumping their upper and lower bodies simultaneously. The bike also comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame.
What to Look for in an Exercise Bike
What should you look for when shopping for an indoor bike? Take a closer look at what the hottest bikes on the market have to offer based on our reviews.
- A Smooth Ride: If you’ve tried indoor bikes at the gym, you’ve probably experienced that uncomfortable, jerky feeling on a few models. Good news! That’s finally been remedied. The best upright and recumbent bikes currently on the market now offer at least 20-pound resistance systems, which supports significantly smoother rides. Do keep in mind that if you’re a heavier individual or someone who cycles at top speeds, you may want to look for a model with a 25-pound resistance system to keep things extra smooth.
- Excellent User Experience: The newest bikes in the 2020 line-up offer advanced consoles that contain data screens or HD touchscreens, a built-in dock for your smartphone or tablet, as well as AUX or Bluetooth speakers.
- Adjustable Handle Bars: Exercise bikes now come with adjustable handle bars to support your unique body shape and size. If you ever feel awkward while riding, this could resolve the issue.
- Real Bike Feel: The latest exercise bikes capture the feel of riding a standard performance or road bike. This helps your indoor bike training transfer over to biking outside or cross training.
- Secure Pedals: Newer models come with SPD pedals and toe cages to keep your feet nice and secure while riding.
More Exercise Bikes & Popular Alternatives
The cardio machines listed below are ranked by our FitRated review scores. Compare and contrast these different styles of machine to determine which one will best meet your personal exercise needs.
Alternative Low-Impact Home Gym Equipment
Not a fan of cycling? Not a problem! Check out these other cardio training options that are low impact on sensitive joints. These include Elliptical trainers, Bowflex TreadClimbers, and Max Trainers. All of these styles of machine are quite popular amongst professional gyms and home users.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of an exercise bike?
A stationary bike provides an ideal platform for low-impact cardio exercise. Perfect for both steady-state and interval workouts, you can explore different styles of training including lower body strength, endurance, and weight loss. Best of all, you can avoid the dangers involved with road cycling on a stationary bike.
Can you burn fat riding a stationary bike?
Absolutely! A half-hour of steady state exercise on a stationary bike burns approximately 250-300 calories, and this caloric burn adds up over time. The stationary bike can provide an excellent way to perform cardio for the beginning of a weight loss routine as you benefit from its low-impact nature while carrying more weight.
How far is 30 minutes on an exercise bike?
It all depends on pacing. For example, 12 miles per hour would be a relatively low pace, at which 30 minutes would take you six miles. On the other hand, more aggressive pacing can take you anywhere from 10-20 miles.
Will an exercise bike slim my thighs?
Although it’s not possible to target weight loss in a particular area, biking burns calories while strengthening the legs. Consistent exercise on a stationary bike can certainly slim the thighs and make them appear more toned.
Is biking 30 minutes per day enough to lose weight?
When combined with a diet that creates a caloric deficit, 30 minutes of biking on a consistent basis will lead to weight loss in the majority of cases.