Sale priced at just $799, the NordicTrack E 8.9 is a top value among long-stride elliptical trainers.
The E 8.9 features the same performance essentials as the leading elliptical in its series. It has simpler technology overall, but it’s enabled for iFit.
Read about its pros, cons and alternatives in our full review of the NordicTrack E 8.9 below.
|Model||NordicTrack E 8.9|
|Resistance Type||SMR™ Silent Magnetic|
|Stride Length||18" - 20"|
|Pedals||Adjustable & Oversized|
|Incline||3 - 20 degrees|
|User Profiles||1 User|
|Heart Rate||Dual-Grip CardioGrip™|
|Display||5" Backlit LCD|
|Max. Weight||325 lbs|
|Dimensions||67.1" x 25" x 69.1"|
|Warranty||Frame: Lifetime Parts: 2 Years Labor: 1 Year|
Rating: 88.4/100. The NordicTrack E 8.9 is a compact elliptical trainer that’s packed with training potential.
A front drive elliptical, it supports long strides yet has a SpaceSaver design.
Resistance comes from a quiet 20-pound magnetic drive and a steep automated incline.
Elliptical workout programs designed by a pro are built into the console, plus the E 8.9 is enabled for iFit’s unlimited workout downloads.
Here are advantages and possible drawbacks of choosing the NordicTrack E 8.9 elliptical.
- SMR™ Silent Magnetic Resistance
- 20″ to 22″ stride
- Power ramp of 3 degrees to 20 degrees
- Resistance and incline controls on handlebars
- 26 built-in workouts
- iFit-enabled with Google Maps™ workouts
- Backlit display
- Tablet computer holder
- iPod-compatible (2″ speakers)
- Wireless heart rate monitor (Chest strap not included)
- Water bottle holder
- Small footprint (67.1″ x 25″)
- Two-year parts warranty
- Without a tablet computer, the iFit display is minimal
- Tablet covers up data display
- The flywheel isn’t the best for heavy users, although the machine’s max capacity is 325 pounds
- NordicTrack’s customer service gets negative reviews
The E 8.9 is one of the best NordicTrack ellipticals under $800. If you can spend a bit more though, you’ll get some meaningful upgrades.
The NordicTrack E 8.9 packs plenty of workout potential into a small space.
The power-adjustable stride of 20″ to 22″ could be a perfect match for your natural gait, plus it can add muscle-toning variety to your workouts.
More significant variety though comes with the power-adjustable incline, which ranges from three to 20 degrees.
The drive weight of 20 pounds is respectable for beginners and intermediate trainees. It isn’t one of the heavier NordicTrack options, but again the incline is important because it adds challenge.
The E 8.9 console is iFit-enabled in a new old-fashioned way. You can download iFit workouts but they’re shown on a simple backlit LED instead of a full color web-enabled screen. For a better view, connect your own tablet computer.
The NordicTrack E 8.9 elliptical is preloaded with 26 workouts. Each was designed by a certified personal trainer. By automating the pedals’ resistance and incline, these programs make it easier to burn calories, build endurance and meet other fitness goals.
For unlimited workout variety the E 8.9 is iFit-enabled. Here are workout types available with iFit subscriptions
- Download a new and personalized workout any time. These programs are similar to the built-in elliptical workouts. They’re considered “personal trainer” workouts and are tailored to your user profile.
- Virtually train around the world with iFit Google Maps™ workouts. These workout programs simulate specific real-life routes by controlling the E 8.9 elliptical’s incline to approximate the terrain. Plus, if you show iFit on your tablet computer you’ll also get an interactive Google Street View! Choose from iFit’s suggested routes or set your own path. With its maximum incline of 20 degrees, the E 8.9 is a nice fit for this workout technology.
- Train with high definition workout videos from world-class personal trainers. iFit members can choose from hundreds of beautifully produced video workouts. Hundreds of options are available and feature celebrity personal trainers such as Jillian Michaels and the dynamic duo Chris and Heidi Powell.
iFit membership also includes advanced tracking for your fitness data, a digital workout-planning calendar and other advantages to help you keep fit.
NordicTrack E 8.9 Features
This NordicTrack elliptical can power-adjust from a 20″ to 22″ stride. This range not only helps it support a wide range of natural gaits (average to long), but also makes it easy to target different muscle groups in a single workout.
For the best muscle targeting though, the E 8.9 has an automated incline of 3° to 20°. Printed on the incline are the muscle groups targeted at different inclines (e.g., calves or thighs). Adding the incline also brings an instant metabolic boost… so you could trim your workout time but still burn lots of calories.
The flywheel for the NordicTrack E 8.9 weighs 20 pounds. You can choose from 22 resistance levels. The resistance is controlled magnetically, which contributes to quiet operation. This flywheel isn’t among NordicTrack’s heaviest but feels smooth for users weighing up to 175 pounds or so.
The control center for workouts is a 5″ backlit LED. It shows resistance, time, distance, pulse and calories. This elliptical’s highest tech display option is adding your own tablet computer or smartphone.
For heart rate monitoring the E 8.9 elliptical is compatible with a wireless chest strap (sold separately). It also has contact pulse sensors on the handlebars.
The NordicTrack E 8.9 is compatible with iPods too. It has a port and Intermix Acoustics 2.0 speakers.
Warranty & Guarantee
NordicTrack E 8.9 warranty includes:
– Frame: Lifetime
– Parts: 2 Years
– Labor: 1 Year
NordicTrack includes a 30-day money back guarantee.
At $799 the NordicTrack E 8.9 is one of the best ellipticals for shoppers seeking the long stride, steep incline and 20-pound drive of NordicTrack’s Front Drive E Series — but without paying for the latest bells and whistles found on pricier alternatives.